Wednesday, December 5, 2012

So, here it is. The final of "Leviathan Queen". There's a slight glare, so some of the darks are off. I'll retake the photo once I put a coat of Galkyd on it. I'll do that once I feel truly done...well, correction: I'll never feel truly done with it, but I've moved it down to the dining room so that it's out of my studio. Sometimes seeing a painting in a different environment helps me pick out little things that need to be fixed--and I do mean little, I'm not making anymore big changes to it. I just want to make sure that no edges that need fixing up, that's all...and with a piece this large, it's easy to miss stuff like that.

"Leviathan Queen", oil on canvas, 60" x 40"

Anyway, yeah...it's done. Am I 100% happy with it? No. This was started a year and a half ago, and I've learned a lot since then. Composition-wise, I think it is better than how it started it out, but I wished I had used a more restrained color palette--mostly earth tones with the occasional bright color. I think this piece would be have been more visually coherent that way. I also think it could have benefited from a looser, more "painterly" approach. Ah, well--it's done and I've learned a ton. Best to move on--Rapunzel has been waiting all alone in her tower for months!


No comments:

Post a Comment