Friday, December 30, 2011

So, as I previously mentioned, I got a little sidetracked from my "Origin" comic.  I had an idea for a "swamp elder" and just had to go for it.  See below for thumbnails, sketches, studies and at last...the "final" piece. There is a lot of fine-tuning to be done with it as well plenty of stuff that just plain isn't finished yet.  I need a break, though, before I dive back in.  I'm also hoping to get a critique on it, so if I do, I'm sure lots of things will need to be changed!

 First thumbnails with a (photo) study of an old woman's face

 Character sketches

 Large thumbnail

 Final thumbnails with shell sketches

 Close-up of final thumbnail

 Live study of snail shell

 My little set-up for studying the shell

 Photo study of some mossy branches

 Photo study of a hunchbacked old woman

"Final" digital painting

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I like the way you did the research before ^^ The tree certainly looks like it has a personality of it's own too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Be sure to check out the new version I did shortly afterward... http://chameleon-carapace.blogspot.com/2012/01/blog-post.html

      Delete